Friday, October 26, 2007

Oh, you old fart, you.

Well, the only really quirky thing about my family is that we live a REALLY long time. Like we are oxes. On my mom's side, my grandfather has emphazema, skin cancer, and a bum foot. Yet lives in florida (sun 360 days of the year), plays golf 3 times a week, and keeps up with his garden. His mother has dymentia and all kinds of other stuff and has to be mid-90's (no one knows her exact age, her birth certificate was burned in a fire. she still thinks she is 70.) my great-great aunt is 101 and can still have a sensable conversation. On my dad's side his great aunt had a stroke lived for 15 more years. I don't know if that is unusual but I think that is pretty good.

but I'm not really sure if that is a plus or not. I mean who wants to live to be 100?
Not me.

But other than that we are pretty ordinary. No cousin shacking up with cousins. No funky deaths or strange accidents. No famous people. No grandfathers named Sweater.

We don't really have any traditions, either. I feel like I've missed out in that sense. My stepmom's family used to come over on Thanksgiving and Aunt Irene would tell us about the next big scam she had bought into and how the Indians at the gas station are stealing people's money.

But that's a-b-o-u-t it. uh. sorry if that was boring.

No comments: